June 03, 2013

Photography Styling Challenge





















One of the fun things about blogging is that you end up connecting with people from all different walks of life.  A while back I was introduced to a very like-minded blogger, M of Redesigned By M.  Since we started chatting we realised we have very similar thoughts about design and, in particular, photography.  One day, M approached me over email to ask if I'd like to take part in a photography styling challenge she was setting for herself.  After hearing more about it and wanting to enhance my own photography skills, I decided to take her up on it.

I'm a total novice when it comes to working with a camera, I'm more of a point and shoot gal than  working out apertures and changing filters (unless it's on Instagram!).  I would, however, love to know more, so this challenge is the perfect excuse to break out the Nikon handbook (yawn). Not only that, but I do have a love of beautifully styled imagery so it will be fun, if a little daunting, to have a go myself.  The rules are set below and we're excited to post our first shoot on Monday 1st July which gives us a month to prepare our first challenge.  

Objective:
There are two, really. The first is to gain a better understanding of how to shoot with our camera, whether it is a point and shoot or a DSLR. Either way, we should get familiar with using all the functions and programs of our camera.

The second is to gain practice and experience with staging a photo shoot, using natural and artificial light, necessary props, color theory, and whatever it takes to make the final product look editorial.

Rules:
1. No editing is to be done of the photo other than cropping. No color touch-ups, no color enhancements, no light filters. Nothing, except cropping.
2. Camera equipment of any variety may be used to assist in the photography.
3. Select 1-5 of your best photos to be blogged.
4. Same concept must be blogged at the same time.
5. No text other than your watermark.
6. All shoots must be newly styled as of the first Monday of June 2013. 

Frequency: Once a month, on the first Monday.

Concepts to Complete*:
1. Food
2. Table setting
3. Wall vignette
4. Morning
5. Bedroom
6. Order (Organisation)
7. Chaos (Caveat: Must use at least 3 of the objects from “Order” photo shoot.)
8. Patterns
9. Fashion
10. Light
11. Living Room
12. Personal

*All concepts are open to interpretation to the photographer.

If anyone would like to participate then get involved!  Leave your name below and we'll be sure to include your blog in the first post.

Image credit | Redesigned By M

Click to follow my blog with Bloglovin



2 comments :

  1. This seems like quite the challenge - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... I'm not really sure what I've let myself in for :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips